Tell me the company you keep and I’ll tell you who you are. – Miguel de Cervantes
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to have a conversation with Buzz Aldrin – the second man to ever step foot on the moon. I asked him a specific question, and his answer is where today’s podcast comes from. The question was: What was the one indispensable thing that got us to the moon?
I thought he would say the people who went to the moon with him or the engineers who built the rockets, but no – he talked about the fuel. The fuel in the rocket ship was the most indispensable thing to their mission.
When I thought more about it, I realized that fuel is also what is indispensable in our leadership. For me, there are 6 “characters” who help fuel our leadership. Take a listen as we discuss…
1. The Cheerleader: Someone who makes you feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof.
2. The Truth Teller: This is the person who will be completely honest with you in your leadership.
3. Jiminy Cricket: Your reminder or compass.
4. Sacagawea: Your mentor or guide.
5. The Crowd in the Square: A community that makes you better.
6. A Luke to your Yoda: Someone to mentor and share your leadership with.
Question: Can you identify these 6 characters in your leadership circle? Who else fuels your leadership?