In a very real sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels. —Daniel Goleman
On Today’s Episode:
- Sarah Mansberger joins Carla for another episode, this time to talk emotional intelligence (EI).
- Daniel Goleman‘s five key elements of EI.
- How “amygdala hijacks” can throw a wrench into any good intention.
- The role that empathy plays.
- Bonus: Brené Brown has a great video that illustrates empathy vs. sympathy.
- How EI helps make you a better leader.
Emotional intelligence in leadership is crucial to creating a contagion of positive emotion in the workplace. It’s an incredibly difficult skill to hone because it requires us to look in the mirror and become increasingly aware of who we are, how we react and what triggers us. But increasing your emotional intelligence pays dividends in employee satisfaction and engagement.
Question: Pick one of the five key elements of emotional intelligence that you think is most important. How can you begin to hone this skill?