Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. – Margaret Mead
Today’s podcast is all about getting involved in your local community! This is a hugely important thing for leaders at all levels. Why? If you only care about your own sector of the community, we will never be great. As Jim Collins has taught us, if we only have great businesses, we may be prosperous, but we will not be a great community.
So, if you’re not currently involved in your community, today we’re sharing easy ways you can get started or – if you are already involved – ways to up your game!
But before you jump into any engagement opportunities, leaders should consider:
- What is in your enlightened self-interest?
- What is the true time commitment?
Then, here are 5 ways to get involved in your community right away:
- Participate and attend community-wide events like 5K races, art exhibits or collegiate sporting events
- Serve on boards and campaigns for community organizations
- Sponsor local programs or events
- Start your own event, organization or program!
- Be creative! Donate old office furniture, or only buy local for office supplies or team lunches. Little things are often overlooked, but they can make a huge impact.
Question: How are you involved in your community? I’d love to hear from you.
P.S. One of the ways we are involved in our community is through hosting Southwest Michigan’s premier leadership event of the year! Catalyst University 2016 is coming up on January 28 and is the perfect opportunity to build your own leadership and launch the leadership of those in your sphere of influence. Get your tickets to our 6th annual event and learn more at www.catalystuniversity.me!